Break-ups are hard. Whether you’ve been dating for a month or a decade. And the same goes for breaking up with a job you’re not into anymore. But, just like when you break up with a partner, there are a few dos and don’ts to keep in mind when on the lookout for something new.
This is what Forbes recommends:
- Share your job search on social media.
- Badmouth your employer. To anyone.
- Use the current employer as a reference, without letting them know you’re thinking of leaving.
- Search or apply for a new job using company equipment. (Use the envisionme.co.za app on your phone.)
- Hunt for jobs during work hours.
- Dress differently if you’ve got an interview that day.
- Update your envisionme.co.za profile.
- Tell your prospective employer that you’d like to keep your job search confidential.
- Schedule interviews on your own time: either take the day off or do it after hours.
- Stay motivated and focused on your current job.
- Tell your employer the truth if confronted about your job search.
You may not like your job much. But burning bridges is never in your best interest. Be discreet and keep your opportunities open.